söndag 13 juli 2008

R.I.P. Don Davis



Yrvaken och inte så lite rosévinsdäst läser jag på Weird Science att Don S. Davis avlidit 65 år gammal. För en hel generation popkulturaficionados är Davis synonym med Twin Peaks kanske mest mångfacetterade karaktär, Major Garland Briggs. Han spelade även Dana Scullys pappa i två av de mest sevärda tidiga Arkiv X-avsnitten, "One Breath" och "Beyond the sea". Jag har sett Twin Peaks så många gånger, med så många olika ögon och infallsinklar, men ofta tänker jag att det är innanför Major Briggs medaljtäta kostym (Log Lady till Major Briggs: "You have shiny objects on your chest") som seriens hjärta och själ finns.

Sov gott, Don. Världen kommer att vara en tristare plats utan dina storhjärtade majorer. Jag kan inte låta bli att köra några av mina favoritcitat med Don-anknytning, från Twimpan och X-Files, som en liten hyllning till en av de mest trofasta genreskådisarna.

"Hello Starbuck. It's Ahab. People would say to me. 'Life is short. Kids, they grow up fast. Before you know it, it's over.' I never listened. To me, life went at a proper pace of many rewards. Until the moment that I knew, I understood, I would never see you again, my little girl. Then my life felt as if it had been the length of one breath, one heartbeat. I never knew how much I loved my daughter until I could never tell her. In that moment I would have traded every medal, every commendation, every promotion, for one more second with you. We'll be together again, Starbuck. But not now. Soon."

(Don S. Davis som William Scully i "One Breath")

"Bobby, may I share something with you? "A vision I had in my sleep last night. As distinguished from a dream, which is a mere sorting and cataloguing of the days events by the subconscious; a vision fresh and clear as a mountain stream, the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision I was on the verandah of vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it, a light from within this gleaming, radiant marble. I had known this place. I had, in fact, been born and raised there and this was my first return, a reunion with the deepest well-springs of my being. As I wondered about I noticed happily that the house has been immaculately maintained and there had been added to it a number of additional rooms, but in a way that blended so seamlessly with its original construction that one would not detect any difference. Returning to the house's grand foyer, there came a knock on the door. I opened it, and my son was standing there. He was happy and carefree, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced, a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We we're, in this moment, one. My vision ended, and I awoke with an overwhelming feeling of optimism and confidence in you, and your future. That was my vision Bobby, it was you."

(Don S. Davis som Major Garland Briggs i Twin Peaks)

Usch, blev helt snyftig nu.

3 kommentarer:

Sara sa...

Åh, så sorgligt! Major Briggs, buhu...

mattias sa...

Trevlig blogg

Boy with a thorn in his side sa...

Du är coolast.

Achievement is it's own reward. Pride obscures it.